How to Make Black Bean Salad
This is a healthy, filling meal in and of itself, but it also pairs well with grilled or roast chicken and a glass of cold beer. Serves six.
When you grill the pepper, it needn't be oiled. When it's charred, place it in a paper bag so that the skin slips off more easily.
1 (12-oz.) can black beans
1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated and cleaned
1/4 cup ORTEGA® Diced Jalapenos
1 red bell pepper
1/2 c. diced jicama
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. red onion, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 ears sweet white corn, shucked
juice of 1 lime
1. Brush corn with about 1 tbsp. oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill over hot coals until majority of ear is charred lightly.
2. Grill red pepper until well-charred, place in bag and let cool. Slip skin off, remove seeds and slice into strips.
3. Cut corn off cobs and place in bowl.
4. Drain can of beans, rinse several times in cold water and add to corn.
5. Add grilled pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, red onion, jicama, salt, pepper, vinegar, lime and oil to corn.
6. Form bowls with lettuce leaves on different salad plates, and spoon some of mixture into leaves. Serve immediately.