A finalist in the 2002 Ortegar "Create a Fiesta, Win a Siesta!" Contest, this dish was submitted by Lisa Carr of Cedaredge, Colorado. This spread is a delightful blend of chiles, salsa, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and green onions for a delicious and mi
Baked Chile Cheese Spread
- 2 tbls. cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsps. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) ORTEGA Diced Green Chiles
- 1 cup (about 8) sliced green onions, divided
- 1 jar ORTEGA Salsa - Homestyle Recipe (Mild), or any flavor - divided
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 garnish tortilla chips, assorted crackers and/or sliced baguette
BEAT cream cheese, eggs, garlic powder, and cumin in large mixer bowl until smooth; stir in chiles and 1/2 cup green onion. Pour half of batter into pan. Spoon 1 cup salsa over top of batter; sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese over salsa. Spread remaining batter over top of cheese.
BAKE for 55 to 60 minutes or until edges are set but center still moves slightly. Cool completely in pan on wire rack; remove side of springform pan. Spread remaining salsa over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese and green onion. Serve with tortilla chips.