The Grand Prize Winner of the 2002 Ortegar "Create a Fiesta, Win a Siesta!" Recipe Contest, this dish was created by Ginger Berryhill of Austin, Texas. This savory casserole blends the mild, fire-roasted flavor of Ortega chiles and the smooth taste of Or
Monterey Chicken Casserole
- 1 pound (4 cups) cooked chicken breast meat, cut into 3/4 - 1-inch pieces
- 1 bottle (16 oz.) ORTEGA Thick & Smooth Taco Sauce - Mild
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) ORTEGA Diced Green Chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3/4 cups instant rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (2.25 oz.) sliced olives, drained
- 1 package ORTEGA Taco Shells (12 ct), crumbled
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 garnish of green onions, sliced, and/or sour cream
COMBINE chicken, taco sauce, chiles, corn, rice, water and olives in large bowl. Spoon into ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Combine taco shells and cheese in medium bowl; sprinkle over chicken mixture.
BAKE for 40 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Garnish as desired.