Bits of sweet corn, chiles and sprigs of fresh cilantro add color, crunch and flavor to an always-welcome addition to any meal, the meltingly tender biscuit. Try these Southwestern Biscuits the next time you serve eggs and bacon, a hot bowl or chile or a
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbls. granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- 3 tbls. butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 can (8-oz.) cream-style corn
- 1 can (4-oz.) ORTEGA Diced Green Chiles
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)
COMBINE flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add butter; cut in with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
STIR in egg, corn, chiles and cilantro; combine just until mixture holds together. Knead dough 10 times on well-floured surface. Pat dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into 3-inch biscuits. Place on greased baking sheets.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.